World.Connect.Competition.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Richard Roberts

Richard Roberts

Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011 Empty
PostSubject: Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011   Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011 Icon_minitimeSun 11 Dec 2011 - 6:38

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Images showing (1) some fairly standard traffic forming behind GT2's, then (2) me spinning after touching a porsche exiting t7, (3) Tony spinning while I am a passenger (We waited there for less than 5 seconds but it felt like half an hour). Then (4-5) some of me chasing down the Gt2s with boost set to +2.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011   Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011 Icon_minitimeSun 11 Dec 2011 - 6:57

:D
Back to top Go down
Ricardo Edelmann

PostSubject: Re: Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011   Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011 Icon_minitimeSun 11 Dec 2011 - 7:51

nice pics m8!!!
Back to top Go down
Marcel
Admin
Marcel

PostSubject: Re: Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011   Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011 Icon_minitimeSun 11 Dec 2011 - 7:56

:)
Back to top Go down
https://worldconnectcomp.aktiv-forum.com
Richard Roberts

Richard Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011   Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011 Icon_minitimeSun 11 Dec 2011 - 8:06

Nice job on the paint marcel. It was a pleasure to drive, very elegant looking
Back to top Go down
Marcel
Admin
Marcel

PostSubject: Re: Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011   Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011 Icon_minitimeSun 11 Dec 2011 - 8:41

Thanks for the pictures. I am glad everybody enjoyed it. ;)
Back to top Go down
Richard Roberts

Richard Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011   Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011 Icon_minitimeSun 11 Dec 2011 - 8:58

Overall Summary of the Race followed by summary of driving sessions

The driving order was Richard (2.5hrs), Tony (1.5hr), Marcel (2hr), Tony (1hr) Richard (1.5hr), Tony (1 hr) the times are approximate.

We started about 27, I dropped to the back after an early spin-crash but regained most of the places to be around 25. Tony took over and we slipped backwards as he struggled before stabilising at 31. Shortly after Marcel took over the server crashed and the race was restarted. We took the opportunity to switch to higher downforce which improved our confidence in traffic and it looked as if we would soon challenge for 7th or 8th position in class. Unfortunately then I was disconnected and we lost many places/laps before rejoining. I gained a few places to get back to 31st before Tony took over to finish the race gaining a couple of places along the way.

Back to top Go down
Richard Roberts

Richard Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011   Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011 Icon_minitimeSun 11 Dec 2011 - 9:22

Race report

After a confusing briefing session in French, we had to rush to get to the grid in a short 10 mins (far too short). There was some problem getting onto the server that we and some other teams had and eventually it was me rather than Tony who emerged on the grid unexpectedly and only just in time to take our spot.

Driving session 0000 – 0230 hrs (Richard)

After 10 mins on the grid waiting. The race started under SC and the ODS Corvette driver ahead of me had fallen behind me before the startling line so I flashed him through and followed the GT1 convoy for the first 5 laps taking it easy while settling down. The cars ahead could pull away but they slowed down with traffic and I caught them back up and could stick with them. I had moved the brakes as far back as I dared and I was caught out when I had to brake early in t3 behind a prototype and another Gt1. The rears locked and I spun and clouted the wall, needing to pit to repair the suspension after only 30 mins driving. I rejoined and drove steadily feeling positive and watching the tire wear and readjusting the brake bias.

I made my next pitstop to take advantage of a safety car but then the SC spun and I hit the back of a train of stopping cars on the home straight damaging my splitter. So I pitted again for 6 seconds to repair that. Then I drove for 40 something laps that I can hardly remember I probably passed some cars and watched some spin off. At the end I stood shakily on my feet having forgotten that they were useful for anything other than pushing pedals. Tony was now at the wheel.

Last edited by Richard Roberts on Sun 11 Dec 2011 - 12:33; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Richard Roberts

Richard Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011   Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011 Icon_minitimeSun 11 Dec 2011 - 12:24

After driving for nearly 3 hours I had just wanted to sit down and watch tv (movies rather than live coverage). But after a few hours I was feeling positive with more energy, especially realising that we were still in the race.

2nd Session 0640-0715 (Richard)

I took over from Tony, easily within range of 9th place in class. A red corvette. So I got down to some laps refamiliarising myself with the setup changes. As far as I remember this was a great stint, I was much more aggressive in traffic partly because of the extra downforce and better braking and partly because I was prepared to take more risks. I maybe dived down the inside a couple of times t8 and drove round the outside in t6-7 and t2 a couple of times. Tony said that “if you give an inch they will take a mile” and this was probably true of me at this point.

I was just talking to Marcel about how this was shaping up for an exciting finish when I was disconnected after two rooms away my brother had unwittingly nudged a cable out of the router. A crushing blow and I asked Marcel to take over. In the end though it was me who rejoined the race from the pits.

3rd session 0720-0830 (Richard)

On rejoining 5 minutes later we had dropped to pretty far back, all the same I wanted to get a respectable finish and many GT2’s were still in range. This time I drove with plenty of boost. Again I overtook a lot which was confidence boosting and enjoyable. This time I had a couple of spins as I stumbled into some thick pockets of traffic and out-braked myself once as well. For traffic try fitting 6 cars in the tiny stretch between t6-7 and you get some idea. Marcel and Tony were discussing taking over as I ran down my fuel. In the end Tony arrived only just in time after Marcel had some kind of issue. By this point we were around p31.
Back to top Go down
Richard Roberts

Richard Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011   Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Dec 2011 - 7:13

The live coverage is continually being replayed at the moment

here
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

or here is the recorded version
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Michael

Michael

PostSubject: :)   Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Dec 2011 - 7:29

:D
Sounds like I missed a good one. I know you guys were skeptical about raising the boost when you first saw my prelimiary set up but I found it was nesecary to keep up with the Vets and Astons and ahead of the faster guys in the GT2's. That Ford block can take a lot of punishment and keep going strong. :king:
This computer is driving me crasy so I have plans afoot 🎅 :rendeer:
If there is a next race your post race summary has me eager to go.
Back to top Go down
Richard Roberts

Richard Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011   Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Dec 2011 - 10:28

Im not sure this will be helpful but I am broke the 9 minute barrier just now :) 8.59

er this is one for the under 10s really but is a good lesson for endurance racing. You know the tortoise and the hare.

Its one of my favourite cartoons
Back to top Go down
Marcel
Admin
Marcel

PostSubject: Re: Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011   Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Dec 2011 - 11:16

yeah that's a cool cartoon and maybe a source of our passion for endurance racing. :lol:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011   Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011 Icon_minitimeMon 19 Dec 2011 - 2:31

Race Report:

Some days have past.. I want to quickly write a few points about the race, and say thanks to all who participated

Finding Server at Start:

We had a race programme (pilot order) that we were following. All seemed ok until about 10 minutes before the start, I was to start the race and drive for the first two hours, however for some reason I was unable to find the server (after having been on the server some 3 or 4 times earlier in the day, testing etc...). The dilemma/drama following was resolved ultimately by Richard being able to quickly get online and put a WCC car on the starting grid. The lesson learned I believe was that by having two people prepared to carry out a task (i.e. entering the server) avoided the possiblility of missing the start. At that particular moment, infact there were all three WCC drivers present on teamspeak, each one following the proceedings and able to assist. IMO a situation that was well managed and avoided a no show. Well done to Richard for being online and able to respond quickly.

I question why the organisers decided to shut the server down, then conduct a briefing, then move immediately to Race start (qualifying had been completed some two days earlier). Hence there was no opportunity to sort out server problems before the race. Maybe the warm up should have been longer and right before the race, even as long as an hour, to give all team members an opportunity to log on to test their install.

My stint (first driver change):
well, what can I say other than it was like driving to Rome in the morning commute, lots and lots of traffic!..So much, that I was purposefull slowing the car down in the pinch points of the track to avoid a prang. My lap times were suffering as I was being overly cautious and not being able to find the 'groove' i was using when on my own on the track. However as I recall i was able to turn some 15 or so laps without incident. Traffic seemed to pass in waves with the frontrunners grouped together. I came unstuck a couple of times as I was not very comfortable with the back end of the car (it seems to break loose without much feedback beforehand)...I think the wing settings with the tire wear after my initial 30 minutes contributed to my inablility to control the car, in particular on the last chicane, spinning a few times there. Re-entering the track was difficult as it is so hard to see from the cockpit. Nonetheless, however rattled I was, I managed to get the car straight and back on the road. One particular occassion moving slightly off line to allow a p1 to pass, I had an off and hit a barrier,...sending a wheel into the stands. This was probably me darkest moment...(its along way around on 3 wheels). My lap times were down now..and lost some places to a few GT2's I was about an hour and 15 minutes into my stint. Marcel came onto to relieve me. I was frustrated by the early call to handover, but came in just the same. Rattled from the damage I took, I handed the car to Marcel, then focused on clearing my head to be able to return to the race if we were still running and if I was needed.

my second stint:

regrettably, I don't remember much, as it was only for an hour..I will need to look at the replay again to elaborate on this. I came online after Richard and I discussed the race over teamspeak and we agreed I would do a stint, and either he or Marcel would come on to relieve me. It was a short stint, I think mostly uneventful.

my third stint (final stage of race):

As I was unable to start the race, circumstance gave me the opportunity to finish it. Marcel was lapping much more quickly than me and was the obvious choice to finish. However, with a similar issue of finding the server, he was unable, and I was able to slip into the final stint without trouble (noting although that Richard was lapping with precious little fuel as Marcel and I were making attempts to join the server). This handover (as all of my handovers in the race) passed without incident. During an earlier part of the race, there was a general disconnect on the server. This gave WCC the opportunity to adjust the setup. I found this nerw setup more to my liking and was doing consistent laps and was making progress generally, holding position and enjoying the event. I have spent years training in middle distance (and some long distance) running, trying to perfect the 'autopilot mechanism' that we all have in our head. Its a real pleasure when you get there. In the last 20 or 30 minutes of this race I was approaching that level of autonomy...I was able to visualize the car and placement of the car at speed through the course, but in a very relaxed manner, in a sort of 'energy saving mode' - maximum control, minimum output. Not sure how to describe it, but it is a very calm and tranquil state. As there is a Runner's high...there must be also a driver's high....
At any rate..not to sound like I have lost the plot, the end of the race was a joy. until the last lap i was shunted by a prototype, lol...like getting hit by a bottle over the head 2 minutes after a bar room brawl has been broken up!..Just have to laugh.

overall a great, great race, A finished race, a job complete.

Thanks so much WCC for the opportunity to do it! :afro:

cheers
Back to top Go down
Richard Roberts

Richard Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011   Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011 Icon_minitimeMon 19 Dec 2011 - 7:57

Thanks Tony. It was interesting to see your perspective.

The start incident was alarming but not our fault I suspect. I had the same problem joining the server (i got kicked off) and I think it was just chance that I was the one logging on when somehow something had changed on the server. I want to find out what happened there from them and I dont think it was organised very well from their side.

I agree about the traffic, it was like rush hour and it was a major challenge. It caused all 3-4? of my spins. Ultimately the more you can hold a steady predictable line the better the prototypes can drive around you. Marcel and I had the benefit of driving in two previous races. I can sympathise that once you have been punted from behind you start to feel nervous of cars following you.

It was interesting that you mention your laptimes a few times. While we were waiting on the pitwall we were not at all concerned about laptimes. Only in keeping out of trouble and most importantly avoiding unscheduled stops. I think laptimes are worth focusing on for practice before the race but not so much during it. Most of the time i was not watching laptimes so I cant say for sure. But your second stint seemed to be a big improvement over the first and third was great because we felt much more confident in you.

We accomplished ourselves quite well. It was an event where it was important we drove well because of the speed differences the short track and that we were selected ahead of other teams to participate. We had some offs but we drove considerately and kept racing to the finish I hope that we have made some friends and no enemies.

Not all endurance races have waiting lists, or with such intense traffic. The HSO event is such a race. I am driving the HSO race with a frenchman but I highly recommend either getting a teammate or posting searching for one on the HSO forum.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011   Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Endurance-rfactor 10h de Road Atlanta 10/12/2011
Page 1 of 1